Wednesday, June 22, 2011

A Visit to Fairfield

The first part of June I flew back to Fairfield, CA. My Uncle Mark had just passed away after a long and difficult fight against a rare illness. He was a Green Beret and was a member of the 7th Special Forces Group , Fort Bragg, NC. We all remember him talking about jumping out of perfectly good airplanes! He was a professional photographer and was always taking pictures. Annoying at times but I'm so grateful for it now:) He had been putting old photographs of the family together in videos and they are so fun to see. Our family has been so blessed by his many talents.
We miss him but the best thing of all is that he is okay now and we are going to see him again. What a blessing! Doesn't get much better than that!



It was nice to be able to go back and spend time together, although short, it was very nice.


We always like to go to the Jelly Belly Factory when we are in town and pick ourselves up a big bag of Belly Flops and do some taste testing at the sample bar. We figured we needed some laughs for the day so we picked some of the completely disgusting ones. Those included: booger, pencil shavings, toothpaste, skunk spray, dog food, centipede, vomit... oh just the thought of that one...

Well those came in handy that evening. Things were winding down and it seemed like the perfect time to break them out. We mixed some of flops in with the gross bag, the flops include two stuck together. The perfect suspect came along, my dad, so we pulled the bag out and began eating some, being careful only to eat the doubles:) We just waited for some reaction or for him to say something. Finally, after way too long, he got this funny look on his face and said, "hum, that one tastes like vomit" and continued to chew like it was no big deal!! Oh my we all lost it! We were trying to keep it together! I love my dad!

Ok another funny story about this was after everyone knew about the "bad" beans, we decided to make a game of it. We'd pass the bag around and you had to blindly pull one out and eat it. You could get lucky because we mixed good ones in there too. I wish I had my camera then because the reactions were priceless! Well, my Uncle Dave started eating one and seemed very uneasy. He was totally grossed out by what he just ate and couldn't figure it out. At that same time my aunt let in her dogs and they ran straight over to Dave wagging their tails. He just ate the dog food one and the dogs wanted in! Oh the smell of dog food along with the skunk spray my dad also got filled the air! I'm glad that everyone was a good sport about it;)



Oh the vineyards. They go on for miles and are absolutely beautiful. Some of us took off for a little drive and we were just amazed at the view. I think we passed one car the entire time. This is the vineyard that is across from the street from cemetery. I wish I would have had my camera instead of my phone. Would have been more use to me since there was no service on our drive:)



Before we left to the airport we stopped by Suisun City and had breakfast. Enjoyed the awesome weather and relaxed a bit. I wish I could have been there on a Friday night. My cousin told us they do fireworks over the water and have lots of little shops that fill the walks. But today it was nice to have it all to ourselves.



Warning: Don't ever lose your luggage in Sacramento;)

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hilarious about the jelly beans Brookie! Remember in high school at the soccer retreat there was a competition of who could eat all the gross jelly bell's first? That's what I thought of! ha ha good times good times! So glad you were able to spend some time with your family!

Nicole Lawrence said...

Let's hang out, woman. Pronto!

Jon & Jen said...

So sorry to hear about your Uncle Mark. It has been so long since I have seen your family, I almost didn't recognize some of them.

Sounds like a good trip. One thing I love about your family is your ability to have fun anywhere. Glad you had a good time.